Three decades ago, my sixteen-year-old mom was pregnant with me. She was in high school and about two years away from graduation. She was presented with an option – choosing me and the uncertain road ahead or not. She chose me.
This decision forever changed her life. She was young, learning to be a mom, and what it meant to live on her own. She was also taking this journey as a single mom as my father was incarcerated during my primary years.
I do know that along the journey my mom had help and needed it. She welcomed it for my sake and hers. Sometimes help came from family and other times from complete strangers, but we were not alone.
To this day, I can vividly remember growing up on W 23rd Street in Jacksonville, Florida in a duplex in the urban core of the City. It was not the safest neighborhood nor the prettiest, yet it was my home for several years. I remember the good times and the not so good times, yet as I look back over my life and I am grateful for each person that helped my mom provide, nurture, and care for me.
The Mother-to-be Celebration idea was birthed over six year ago while I was living in Florida. I knew I wanted to help other moms who found themselves in similar situations to my mom – they needed help to raise and care for their baby. I realized that some expecting moms may not have as much family support as she did and may need more. Or, they may need some encouragement and wisdom to help them break generational curses of poverty, worry, low self-esteem, etc. Or, they may need an afternoon of being showered with love from family and friends to be reminded that they do have support on this journey, despite the uncertain road ahead.
At this point in my current journey, I do not know what it means to be pregnant or to be faced with a decision of life or to be faced with fears and worries because I am unsure of how I will care for my child, BUT I do what it means to be the little blessing that changes a young mom’s life forever. I do know what it means to have a litany of statistics tagged to you because of your zip code, mom’s martial status, father’s criminal history, and the color of your skin. I also know what it means to crush each of those statistics. And, because of my journey I want to help other women like my mom raise barrier-breaking children like my mom did.
This summer, Life with Chelsi, my newly formed women-focused organization, is hosting its inaugural event, the Mother-to-be Celebration. The Celebration will be hosted in Richmond, Virginia. It will be a baby shower filled with love, games, food, and gifts.
As you may now understand, this event is dear to my heart because I know my journey would have been different without the help of a community of people to be resources from my beginning to where I am now. This event is just the first of many that will serve women and their families who may need a little extra help, whether resources, wisdom, or just community.
Life is not meant to be lived alone or focused solely on ourselves!
Will you join us in making this event impactful for the women we will bless?
Here are 5 ways you can support us:
- Nominate! If you know an expecting mom in the Richmond area who is in need, please nominate her today! Nominations close April 30th.
- Donate! We currently have an Amazon registry with needed items yet we are open to receiving any new and unused items you have! We are also in need of food items and a location for the celebration. FYI- we are in the process of becoming a 501c3.
- Volunteer! As we approach the celebration, we will need event prep help! Loading gifts from my house to the event location, day-of set-up, creating gift baskets, etc. Email us if you would like to help.
- Spread the Word! Share our posts, email a friend, send a message in your group chats, or bring it up at brunch. Help us share this event and the ways the community can participate and support. The moms we touch will be forever grateful.
- Pray! Here at Life with Chelsi, Inc., we do what we do for Jesus. We believe we are called to serve, give, and equip and empower women to be their very best no matter where they are at this exact moment. Join us in praying for the event and the moms and families we will reach.
Thank you in advance for being a part of our inaugural event!
With lots of love,
Also, the Life with Chelsi Book Club is launching this year. Email me if you are interested in joining the Richmond chapter or starting one in your area.
Be sure you are following us on social media, too!!